The Yukon Quest is now accepting applications for the Race Manager Contractor position for the upcoming 2013 race.
Please read the following description or download the PDF version here.
The Race Manager (RMgr) is responsible for overall race operations of the 1000-mile Yukon Quest, the YQ300 and the Junior YQ sled dog races. The RMgr will report to and work closely with the Yukon Quest International, Ltd. (YQIL) Executive Director (ED) with assistance from the Yukon Quest International Association (YQIA) Executive Director to ensure solid reporting, support, communications and accountability.
THE RACE MANAGER WILL:
• Manage the organization, logistics, execution and quality control of the 3 races
• Create and execute detailed work plans and timelines
• Be responsible for financial management and reporting
• Recruit and train logistics support volunteers as needed
• Provide regular communications and progress reporting, including participation in Race Team meetings
• Build community relations, while coordinating and supporting checkpoints/ dog drops and hospitality stops
• Support and establish communications with all race personnel
• Manage all aspects of ground transportation and air logistics support for race personnel
• Manage race communications systems
• Execute collection, tracking, delivery and securing of mushers’ food drop bags.
• Execute start and finish facilities, procedures, volunteer coordination and communications
• Timely file all required permissions and permits including border crossing requests
• Post-race clean-up and reporting as required
• Proven leadership capability and experience
• Project management and solid organizational skills
• Personnel management
• Financial management skills
• Knowledge of sled dog sports
• Public relations and diplomacy skills
• Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
• Ability to adapt to changing dynamics
• Excellent oral, written communication and computer skills
• Experience within the sled dog and sled dog racing community
• Ability to travel between Canada and the United States
• Must have valid driver’s license, valid passport, own transportation
The position is typically part-time August-October with full-time requirements November through March. The RMgr will be required to work in excess of 40 hrs/ week (particularly during race time) to accomplish the objectives, perform tasks and meet the timelines of this position. Compensation dependent on experience.
Deadlin to apply is Monday August 6th 2012, please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Marti Steury - Executive Director, Alaska Office
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (907) 452-7959
Marie-Sylvestre Belanger - Executive Director, Yukon Office
Email: email@example.com Fax: (867) 668-6674